Saturday, February 14, 2015

Studying Abroad: A Balancing Act

When I originally sat down to write this blog post, I had intended to finish up sharing my experience in the Philippines and Bangkok. That, however, will have to wait, as I was in the mood to write more generally about my study abroad experience and the major takeaways I've gained thus far. 

Studying abroad is what you make it of it. Generally speaking, there are three types of study abroad students. On one extreme, there is the student that tries to travel everywhere, with absolutely no regard for classes. On the other extreme, there is the student who is so focused on classes that they don't do so much as to even leave campus. Together, these two groups constitute about 25% of all exchange students here at NUS.

The remaining 75% -- the group I fall in -- is composed of students that are trying to do it all, but at the detriment of not doing any single thing right. While I am only taking 3 classes, I am busier now than I have ever been. In addition to taking some of the most challenging classes of my life, I also have several other tasks on my plate: managing this blog, keeping my friends and family back home in the loop, Skyping in every week for my fellowship with the Center for Positive Organizations and remotely working on my team project, applying to and interview for summer internships, and, most tasking of all, trying to make the most of the limited time I have on the other side of the world. 

I know for a fact a lot of exchange students feel the same way I do. It isn't really a bad thing either to fall into this middle category, but I think I'll have to make some cuts, probably in the area of travel, in order to lead a healthier life (I'm probably averaging 4-5 hours of sleep a night) and to devote more time to my classes.

I will say this, however. I think this is the first time in my life that I truly -- and I mean truly -- appreciated the scarcity of time. There is so much I want to do here. Everyday is a challenge to do something I have never done before. Everyday is a new opportunity; no day is to be left unseized. 

Back at home, it is almost as if I was living in idle, letting each day pass in mindless routine. Come May and I return back home, I hope to continue living with this newfound mindset. Life, I've realized, is too short to live in content idle. 

I challenge you all to live your lives in a similar manner -- that is, to live your life like an exchange student. Everyday have an "itinerary." Strive to do something new, as it is variety that makes life rich. Comfort is fine, but too much comfort -- too much contentedness -- is not conducive to living a full life, at least in my view. Those who know me well know that I am not usually the one to use clichés, but I really do think there is a lot of truth to these statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment