Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Classes Update and First Haircut

So, How are Classes Going?

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, I'm currently taking 3 classes this semester: Managing Nonprofit Organizations, Global Political Economy, and Comparative Study of Development. I really enjoy all three classes, as they add context and meaning to my study abroad experience as I travel around Southeast Asia. In Comparative Study of Development, we analyze what policies and politics lead to development and underdevelopment (i.e. economic, political, and social development). In Global Political Economy, I'm learning about the political implications of our contemporary global economy from a multi-disciplinary perspective. In Managing Nonprofit Organizations, I am learning how to bring ideas into actions and am gaining the technical, real-life skills to work in the social sector. This one is my favorite course -- we actually get the chance to create a nonprofit through the course! 

So far, there haven't been many assignments in my classes besides readings, but I expect the work to pick up considerably during the final weeks of the semester. As compared to the American education system, there definitely are less graded assignments during the semester; however, this does not necessarily mean that the classes here are any less challenging than back in the states.

I've had to adapt my study strategies to be a successful student here, as I have officially gone paperless! The printing system at NUS is so awful that I simply could not have continued to print all of my readings out. There are so many reasons to go paperless (e.g. save money and time on prints, environmental benefits, convenience of not having to carry around all your notes, etc.). If you are thinking about making the switch to paperless, then definitely check out the iOS app Notability! The interface is great, it syncs all your notes between all your iOS devices, and it's only $2.99! 



Haircut with Auntie Audrey


Last week I got my first haircut in Southeast Asia! Unsurprisingly, there aren't many (if any) Arab barbers in Singapore. That said, my Singaporean barber, Auntie Audrey (that's what she insists I call her), did quite a good job on my Arab hair.

She kindly made clear to me that my hair was much thicker than her average customer and that I was getting my money's worth. We also talked about my "beautiful Christian name," which, of course, is Mark. I hadn't really thought about the fact that my name comes from Christian roots until then. 
Anyway, I'm looking forward to more haircuts and interesting conversations with Auntie Audrey.

In other news, I just got back from the Philippines! The Philippines is a really cool country with its own unique culture. Expect another post by Friday detailing my experience there!

No comments:

Post a Comment