Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Arrival

Hey guys, A LOT has happened since in the last 24 hours (well, actually the last 37 hours if you count the time difference.)

Let's begin with the flights. Surprisingly (and thankfully), I made it past security this time without being "randomly" checked. This is great news but wait, there's a twist... I almost wasn't allowed to even advance to security because the person working at baggage claim was saying that I needed a special visa, which didn't exist, in order to send my bags to Singapore. This dilemma took so long to resolve that I had to go 0-100 real quick to make sure I made it to my flight on time.

Sure enough, I had the middle seat for the 13 hour flight to Tokyo... I have yet to fully regain circulation in my legs.

When I passed through security for my flight to Singapore from Tokyo, I had a rather strange interaction with the security officer. I had a full water bottle (we're talking upwards of 1 liter), and the officer told me that I needed to drink it before passing security. I asked him if I could simply dump it somewhere, as I was not thirsty at the time, but he simply smiled and insisted politely that I just drink it. I literally chugged the whole water bottle with him just looking at me do it. Low key, it was one of the weirdest, most awkward experiences of my life. I think he felt the same way too, but I cannot be 100% sure.

There really is no good way to segué from that into this, but the flight to Singapore was a breeze. The taxi ride back to my dorm was pretty cool. Having read a lot about Singapore before coming here, I was able to decipher buildings, parks, etc. on my own, and that's a pretty rewarding feeling. My cab driver was pretty impressed and we got along very well despite the fact that he barely could speak English, which brings me to my next point.

As I mentioned in my last blog, one of the main things that interested me about Singapore is the fact that I can experience a vastly different culture without having to overcome significant* language barriers. I have now decided to put an asterisk when I say significant. Let me explain.

While you certainly can get by with only speaking English, it still can be tremendously difficult to communicate with others doing so, particularly the older generation of Singaporeans. I did not expect it to be as difficult to communicate with others as it has shown to be, but I think that this is overall a great learning experience. I have really been challenged to be a better listener and to read non-verbal cues so as to fully understand others. This is a skill all great leaders must have, as it is impossible to lead effectively without being able to understand and communicate with others. 

Now, regarding my initial thoughts on the National University of Singapore and Singapore in general, this place is pretty awesome. It almost feels as though I am in the future (not like 13 hours ahead but rather sci-if movie ahead). While there sometimes is this eerie feeling of utopia/dystopia present, this place has a lot going for it. The food is delicious, the people are friendly, and everything is pristine. 

That should be about all for today. I tried to be a little more casual than usual for this post, so please let me know if this style works for you or if you'd prefer something a little more formal. Remember, I'm not just writing this blog for me, but also for you all too, so I welcome any comments and/or messages on feedback!

2 comments:

  1. You best be doing some vlogging #zerotoonehundred
    #realquick
    #ooohkillem
    #terio
    #itsnottushar
    #love
    #josephambrose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vlog be coming today homie #yallaintready #letsgo #leggo #legos #blocks #blocked #ibaka #iblocka #2k #ibeatyouin2k #lakers #kobe

      Delete