Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Mark's First Week in Review

I'm Alive

My apologies for the delayed post! It has been quite the week, as I have been settling into Singaporean life, meeting people from around the world, and traveling all around Singapore. Now that I have handled most logistical matters and have finally overcome the 13-hour jet lag, expect me to post much more regularly (but with shorter posts) in the future. I'm very happy to finally have a moment to reflect and share with you all what I have been up to this week.

My Travels Around Singapore Thus Far

For arriving to Singapore only a week ago, I have accomplished a great deal. So far, I've covered Marina Bay, Gardens at the Bay, Tiong Bahru, Orchard Road, Chinatown, Little India, Kampong Glam (aka Arab Street), Clarke Quay, Holland Village, Botanic Gardens, and Sentosa Island!

There are only a few major places I have yet to visit, namely the world-renowned Singapore Zoo, The Southern Ridges, and Palau Ubin, which I intend to visit this weekend. While I have just about covered the major attractions of Singapore, I still very much look forward to revisiting these places over the course of the semester as well as discovering hidden gems that are not mentioned in touristic travel guides.

Food. So much, So cheap.

Probably my favorite thing about Singapore so far is the food, particularly the Hawker Centres. Essentially, a Hawker Centre is an open food court where you can buy cheap, delicious, and authentic Singaporean food. The most popular dish is Chicken Rice, which, as the name implies, is just chicken over rice. While this may sound basic and perhaps overly simplistic, it is a legendary dish that I expect to have many more times during my semester here. Another Singaporean dish that I love, though much more expensive, is Chili Crab

I regret to admit, however, that I have had instances where I have craved (and consumed) American food. Despite the fact the I am halfway across the world and have access to all sorts of foods I have never tried before, during my time here I've already had Subway and Burger King, which, if you know me, I would never have back in the United States. Please don't judge. My inner American is coming alive when I am farther away from the US than I have ever been before. 

Friends From All Over

The study abroad program I am in is an exchange program that brings in students from all around the world, so naturally I am meeting people from pretty much everywhere. Italy, Germany, Taiwan, Norway, United Kingdom, Finland, China, India, Canada, Holland, Dominican Republic, Australia, Mexico, and of course the United States (everywhere except Africa unfortunately). It is really cool to meet all of these exchange students and learn more about their respective cultures, as I overlooked the fact that I would make friends with non-Singaporeans before coming here.

As for making friends with the locals, which is often challenging for exchange students, I have come to realize that a healthy combination of basketball and WhatsApp can do wonders. The locals are among the most friendly people I have met here, and I am slowly starting to pick up on their lingo (aka singlish).

Wish Me Luck!

At 1AM, I have a Skype interview for a summer internship in Chicago with New Sector Alliance! While my interviewer will have probably just started his day, I will have just about ended mine. But hey, it's the best you can do given this time difference. Also, tomorrow is my first day of classes, so hopefully that goes well too!

Closing Remark

Due to popular demand, I will indeed be vlogging (at least once). Expect a video within the next couple of days where I will take you through the NUS campus and my dorm.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging, Mark. This is great! What a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uncle Mike. I'm really enjoying it here!

      Delete